Saturday, February 9, 2013

New Years Resolution 2013: Service


As 2012 came to an end I started to think about what my resolution for the new year would be. Lots of themes came to mind but the one that kept repeating in my mind was the theme of service. I believe that serving others helps us to forget about ourselves and our own problems a bit. In the spirit of living in the present and recognizing blessings in every day life I feel that trying to be of service will help me grow closer to God as I assist in fulfilling the needs of others.

This is going to be difficult for me. Not because I don't like helping people but because I fill my time with so many things, so many projects and tasks that I think it'd be easier for me to "serve later". This is true when it comes to my family especially. I get really busy with every day tasks, cleaning, DIYs, playdates, etc that I forget about the needs of my own children sometimes. I love Mr. Rogers quote, "Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood." If there's one thing I'm absolutely HORRIBLE at it is playing with my own kids. When they grow up I'm sure I'll be a super awesome mom, that is, if they want to help me with  my projects or go on bike rides with me. Stuff like that. But I don't know a whole lot of teenagers who like to hang out with their parents. I KNOW THIS! But I forget it every day that their childhood is so SHORT! So top service priority is to my children.

Second priority (sorry Jake) is to my husband. He goes to school every day, all day. And reads. He reads so many cases and law school things (maybe I could serve him by engaging myself in his work a little more and actually knowing what he's learning about?? eh?). There have been times already this year that he comes home and throws his coat on the table chair. Ok, so every day he does this. And I grunt a little and remind myself to serve him...so I don't say a word and just hang it up in the closet. Then (this happens a lot) he asks me where his coat is. I could expect him to hang it up every day or I can notice that after he tosses his jacket, he heads straight to the kids to play with them and love on them. I want to find as many little ways to serve that man as I can because I LOVE him. I love everything (mostly) he does. Because just about everything he does is for his family. He serves me in so many ways even though his work load is cuh-razy. Seriously. 

If I can master these top two priorities (doubt it but that's why we make resolutions right?) then maybe we'll throw in some food bank and blood donation visits.

But seriously, if I can do anything for you, just let me know ;) Plus you'll be in my prayers so I might just do something for you without you asking. Don't be offended if I wash your car while you're not looking. I don't think you're dirty, I just want to SERVE you! right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment