Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Holding back tears



This picture.....ohhhh how it tugs at my heartstrings. 

Look at this little boy! He is going into Kindergarten this year and we got him registered today. The lady in the office asked, "Are you excited to start school?" Cooper replied very matter-of-factually, "Yeah. I've been waiting for this my whole life." I'm so excited FOR him. The kid has just wanted to be in school for so long now....but as I look at his tiny little body in front of this big sign my "inner mom" weeps. I know every mother goes through this at some point, watching her little bird stand at the edge of the nest with their tiny little wings and puffed up chests thinking they could fly around the world without any worry that they're leaving their momma. It's just really hard to put into words the realization I'm having about him going to school and knowing he will NEVER again be at home all day with me. Oh how I should have savored the little things!!! Oh how I could have done less complaining about his non-stop inquiries and stories!!!  Cooper is such a funny boy who loves to make people laugh. He is a total crowd pleaser and thrives around people, both familiar and not. He does so well including others and making sure people are happy. When someone is hurting or sad his tender little heart can't help but sympathize.  He is so mindful of spiritual things and I can tell that he recognizes the holy spirit in his life. He is wise for his age when it comes to compassion, right and wrong, responsibility and the reality of a loving Heavenly Father above.

We have our children all to ourselves for such a short period of time when considering the time frame of our lives. Thank goodness for half day kindergarten. I get one more year with Cooper (mostly) to myself. Not to mention how much Jack will miss him for a few hours everyday. We'll have to make that our special time together while we wait for Cooper to be done for the day.

I sure love this sweet boy and his giant heart. What a great fall we'll have around here with a new kindergartner and a first year law student. I'm so proud of my boys!!

4 comments:

  1. But then again he could get suspended on the first day of school like James and get to spend the day at home with you after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, that is hilarious! What a great memory.

      Delete
  2. It is hard watching them leave, but they get to start whole new adventures, and you get to be there with them! Its like living life all over again with them! It gets even funner! (Summer is my favorite time of the year, cause I get them all to myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, we're totally going through the same thing around here...our first Kindergartener! So proud, yet I know I'll cry like a baby as I watch Josh get on the bus for his first day! Love your cute blog! Good luck to you all this year!!

    ReplyDelete